Below are a list of resources I recommend and use on a regular basis to help run my online video business. As time goes by, I will do my best to keep this page updated with the latest and new resources.
WordPress Blog Setup
- BecomeABlogger.com: 10 free videos showing you how to set up your own WordPress blog.
- WordPress.org Free blog publishing platform that I use for all of my blogs.
- Thesis Theme: The best WordPress theme for SEO to help you rank in Google (The theme that I’ve always used for inital blog setup).
- Canvas Theme.: I’ve just updated my gideon.shalwick blog to the Canvas Theme from WooThemes. It is a highly customizable theme so you can make your blog look exactly how you want it.
- ReTweet Plugin: Adds a button which easily lets you retweet your blog posts.
- FaceBook Like Button Plugin: Allows Facebook users to vote for your posts, and adds your link to their Facebook page when they vote.
- Subscribe To Comments Plugin: Allows people to subscribe to your comments and keeps driving them back to your site.
- What Would Seth Godin Do Plugin: Add your RSS link or any other link to new visitors to your blog.
- Akismet Plugin: Must have plugin to get rid of comment spam.
- Sociable Plugin: Help your audience spread the word about your great blog posts.
- XML Site Map Generator Plugin: Makes your site Google friendly and helps all your pages get indexed correctly.
- WordPress Spoiler Plugin: Allows you to add text to your posts that is hidden by default.
- The Genki YouTube Comments Plugin: Automatically ads comments from your YouTube videos straight to your blog posts.
- Smart YouTube Plugin: Makes it easy to embed YouTube videos on your blog.
- Right click here to download the smartyoutube.class.php file to your computer
- Popup Domination Plugin: The worlds leading lightbox software.
Hosting and Domain Name
- NameCheap.com: Where I register my domain names.
- HostGator.com: (Coupon for $9.94 discount: gideonshalwick) I used HostGator for hosting when I first started out until my traffic outgrew it.
- Knownhost.com: This is where my sites are now hosted on a dedicated server.
- Aweber Communications Email Marketing Software: I use Aweber to build my email list and deliver my newsletters.
- FusionHQ: Amazing software I use to create all my squeeze pages, sales pages, membership sites etc (everything that is not a blog). I do it all very easily myself without the need a technical assistant thanks to FusionHQ. It also includes an affiliate management system that I now use.
Video Editing Software
- ScreenFlow: This is what I use for screen capture and video editing on my Mac.
- iWork Keynote: Very useful for creating slides or graphics for my videos (Mac).
- Camtasia Studio: Screen capture software for PC.
- Sony Vegas HD Software: Video editing software for PC.
- Jing Project: Free screen recording software that I use to instantly create and upload instruction videos for my staff.
- Screenr.com: Free screen recording service that you don’t even need to install any software for.
Video Recording Equipment
High End (What I use now):
- Canon EOS 60D: My current DSLR camera that I use for my blog videos.
- Nifty 50 Lens: The lens I use to achieve a blurred background.
- Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Microphone: My current microphone for video recordings.
- Rode Podcaster USB Microphone: USB computer microphone I use for screen capture videos and Skype.
- Fluorescent Lighting: Note these are not the same brand as I use as my ones are from Australia but they look the same.
Mid Range (What I’ve used previously):
- Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera: I have a Kodak Zi8 camera for when I need to record longer videos.
- Audio Technica Lavalier Microphone: I used this one to plug into my KodakZi8 to improve sound.
- Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone: Computer microphone that I highly recommend.
Entry Level (What I started with):
- Flip UltraHD Camcorder: I used the Flip to create most of the content for my RVB course.
- Sony ICD-UX200 Digital Voice Recorder: Voice recorder I used with my Flip camera to improve the sound.
- Edirol R-09HR WAVE/MP3 Recorder: High quality voice recorder that I upgraded to.
- Audio Technica Lavalier Microphone: Microphone to plug into voice recorder.
- Logitech USB Desktop Microphone: USB computer microphone I first started out with.
- YouTube: I use YouTube for hosting my free blog content videos.
- Vimeo Pro: This is where I host protected content and sales videos.
- Virtual Staff Finder: Staff finding service I used to find one of my outsource staff. Good for an ongoing position.
- ODesk.com: This is where my own recruitment specialist finds my staff.
- Elance.com: You can hire someone here for any one off tasks you want to outsource.
- Guru.com: You can hire someone here for any one off tasks you want to outsource.
- WordsIntoProfits.com (transcribing): The service I used for transcribing all my videos for RVB.
- www.TweetPages.com(twitter backgrounds): The service I used for creating my twitter background.
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap… and Others Don’t
- The Lazy Way to Success: How to Do Nothing and Accomplish Everything
- An Entrepreneur Guide to Finding Your Flow; Your Life Your Legacy
- Crossing the Chasm
- Splasheo.com: Service I use for cool video outros as well as well as custom intros, outros and lower thirds.
- Google Adwords Keyword Tool
- YouTube Suggestion Tool
- Google Reader
- Ezine Articles
- Teleprompter for Mac
- Teleprompter for PC
Affiliate Disclaimer: Please note that this page contains a bunch of affiliate links to the products and services that are listed. You are welcome to buy through my affiliate links, and if you do, I will get paid a percentage of the sale. And of course, you’re welcome not to buy through my links if that is your choice – but I just wanted to be clear about the affiliate links above.